God blesses us and causes us to receive many benefits from Him (Psalm 107:1-43 cp. 3:8). Even His enemies are blessed in many ways (Matthew 5:43-48). In view of all His blessings to us, we ought to bless the Lord (i.e. thank Him, honor Him; submit to Him - Psalm 34:1-3; 119:10-16).
Psalm 103 gives us four areas for which we should bless the Lord.
Provision - He thought of Everything! Psalm 103:1-6
- Peace of mind (forgiveness)
- Physical needs (health & food)
- Providential care (delivers from destruction & oppression)
- Personal mercies (crowns your life with lovingkindness & tender mercies)
Revelation - He can be seen in Everything! Psalm 103:6-7
- Isaiah 6:1-3; Psalm 33:5; 104:24; 119:64.
- He delivers us from evil (Psalm 103:6). He rules in the affairs of men (Daniel 4:34-35).
- Some learn His ways (Moses - Psalm 103:7 cp Exodus 33:1-23).
- Others learn not from God's acts (Israel - Psalm 95:8-11; 106:7-14; 78:40-41).
Compassion - He can handle anything! Psalm 103:8-18
- II Corinthians 12:9; James 1:2-8; I Peter 5:5-11
- Psalm 34:1-10,19
- Hebrews 2:16-18; 4:16-18; 10:19-25
Consummation - He will bring everything to a climax of praise! Psalm 103:19-21
- God's plan is to unite His universe in Holy wonder and worship (Psalm 103:19; II Peter 3:10-13; Philippians 2:9-11; II Corinthians 15:24-28)!
- The Angels perfectly worship God (Psalm 103:20-21).
- All the works of God bring glory to Him (Psalm 103:22; 145:9-10)
- People, who are born again, are especially His work, for the purpose of praising and blessing Him (Psalm 103:22; Ephesians 1:12-14; 2:10; I Peter 2:9-10; Matthew 6:9-10; Romans 11:33-36).